musings, ramblings, observations, all blown out of proportion and mistaken for insights


Wednesday, July 8, 2009

is the spirit of our age an ugly spirit?

"According to Hegelian philosophy, all historical change results from dialectics. Everything takes place in what Hegel called geist, a collective spirit or consciousness. The prevailing spirit of a time is called a thesis. As we move through time, the thesis is confronted by something new and different, called an antithesis. As these two currents clash and mingle, the result is synthesis, something still newer which emerges from the conflict. Synthesis is the cutting edge of history, where past meets future and growth occurs; synthesis moves the geist through time."

Some questions I have for those who exist within my generation:
1. What is our culture? What defines us? What is our geist?
2. Are you one with the thesis or the antithesis?
3. When will synthesis occur? Will we know when it's occurring or will only hindsight reveal such a thing?
4. When the counter-culture (antithesis) becomes the prevailing culture (thesis), is it more common for human to degrade to the previous culture or to design an original culture and look forward?



1 comment:

  1. I think that we're going into the synthesis, if not now, then soon. I mean, we have the Baby Boomer's beginning to die, and then there's Generation X and all of the shit they brought us going away. I mean, it'd be hard to cover just how vast the changes are, but the culture of the major parts of the world (Asia, Europe, America,) is changing into the future, and I think that some aspects of the recent counter-culture has already begun to blend with the bourgeois. Though, I think that the synthesis hasn't come in full force yet, but rather, has only just started to begin, and when I say just start, I mean JUST start. This year, even.

    Though, I dunno if it's just me, but I think that the idea of a synthesis can only be obtained when something challenges the world in such a way that the lessons from the synthesis has to prevail, or just smolder out of existence. But hell, I dunno.

    ReplyDelete

what my computer speakers are currently spewing:

Followers

About Me

My photo
i'm made of cells and I have a functioning brain