musings, ramblings, observations, all blown out of proportion and mistaken for insights


Tuesday, February 2, 2010

love poem for the apocalypse part 2

"Apparently there is a great discovery or insight which our culture is deliberately designed to supress, distort and ignore. That is that Nature is some kind of minded entity. That Nature is not simply the random flight of atoms through electromagnetic fields. Nature is not the empty, despiritualized lumpen matter that we inherit from modern physics. But it is instead a kind of intelligence, a kind of mind." - Terence McKenna

Laying in a mildewed hammock
staring into the stars,
I prophesize the death of the universe
and listen to my thoughts
ramble endlessly

and when the white noise in my head clears
it becomes apparent -

It's time to escape the systems of old,
escape the present and ignore the future,
for time only leaves us in a
linguistic chaingang, a postmodern rut

To extract understanding
from the shattering fragments
of human language
that sit inside my cranium

To compose childlike games
from body language
to distract from the backbreaking
monotony of everyday life

It's time to burn down the sports bars.
to roam unselfconscious through
the jungles that created us,
for we are not are products of the
factory of mass-culture
but animals capable of infinite experience

    2 comments:

    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I've been thinking a lot about nature, especially about the possibility of some amount of consciousness within it (and evolution, for that matter.) I've also been thinking a lot about a certain divinity about the physical world that I think people assume isn't there a lot. Usually when thinking about anything holy, people turn to religion or metaphysics, but what keeps this world from being something to be admired on a deeper level than what it's already at?

      Mind you, when I say divinity, I don't mean it in so much a religious term as spiritual, and even in the spiritual sense, I'm mostly speaking of the emotion of divinity: awe and inspiration. And, in my opinion, nature is the embodiment of awe and inspiration.

      ReplyDelete

    what my computer speakers are currently spewing:

    Followers

    About Me

    My photo
    i'm made of cells and I have a functioning brain