musings, ramblings, observations, all blown out of proportion and mistaken for insights


Tuesday, March 3, 2009

the mind of Sun Ra

Sun Ra

"What I'm dealing with is so vast and great that it can't be called the truth. It's above the truth." 

So yesterday I heard the greatest Sun Ra album i've ever heard for the first time - Nothing Is, released by ESP-Disk (best label ever!) in 1970. It's a compilation of live recordings from 1966 however, and the sound quality is so good you'd think it was just an extremely spirited studio performance if it wasn't for the audience applause. It's on his avant garde side, but it's not obscure to the point of often being unlistenable. Check it out!

Also check out: The Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra Volume 1, Atlantis, Magic City, and his countless other interstellar masterpieces. 

And watch this awesome video of Sun Ra playing live in Egypt and Italy:


1 comment:

  1. i've been listening to 'some blues but not the kind that's blue' after you told me about him

    ReplyDelete

what my computer speakers are currently spewing:

Followers

About Me

My photo
i'm made of cells and I have a functioning brain